Sunday, August 30, 2015

Birthday Failur ಥ_ಥ

so for those of you who didn't know, I did not finish the blanket in time for it to be a birthday gift. Drastically under estimated the size, I am almost finished with the S shield section; I wound up braking it into left/right wing sections and S shield.  I am very dispointed that I didnt get it finished on time, but he seemed to love his Lego Star War's Cantna, and Imperial Star Destroyer kits and thats whats important.  Might turn into a Christmas gift, or a 2016 birthday gift as I still have a few more birthdays and Christmas gifts to get started on.

Also I joined a Supernatural (the TV show) craft swap-- I will be making some more amigurumi Hunters, possibly an angle and/or a demon.

For those of you out there with a JoAnn's craft store near you--- SUPER BIG YARN SALE. They have yarn marked down as low as $0.87 (it was mostly sold out at my JoAnn's) but I still managed to get a cart load of sale yarn. Almost all yarns where 25% off and a lot where just plain dirt cheap on sale -- I snagged the last of a batch of Purl Essence 'Beautiful' in Light Blue one of the softest and warmest yarns, two years ago I made my mom a cowl out of it and since then I haven't found it in stores anywhere and everyone wanted something made with that yarn. I only got 4 balls (70 yards per ball) so it will only work for a single project for one person I just have to pick out the item/perfect pattern (or write one) then figure out who gets it.

I also decided to tackle making a tri color mermaid blanket tail for my neice as she requested me to make her a mermaid (technically she was asking for a doll but I hope she loves this idea) with 3 colors of Bernat blanket yarn. I was thinking of going the severe chevron route for it but I might change my mind later once I get to working with the yarn, as its a bulky one and chevron's might not look right that bulky to me.


Friday, August 21, 2015

LC Cup Cakes (its Birthday time!)

Its my Hubbys birthday this weekend I am am working on making him up a nice low carb cake.
This recpies I worked up is Ginger Vanila Cup Cakes.  It makes 12, each individual CC is 3.3 net carbs un-iced.

Ginger Vanilla Cup Cake Recpie

Cupcake Nutrition Facts
2 cups Almond Meal (I used Bobs Red Mill)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 stick real butter (1/2 cup if you go imitation which I don't recommend as it will change the texture)
4 tbls cream cheese
1/3 c splenda (granular baking splenda) 
2 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Finely Shredded Ginger 

Pre Heat oven to 350-  Cream the butter and cream cheese till smooth, add in the splenda blend till smooth.  Add in eggs one at a time incorperating fully before adding the next. Add in the vanilla and ginger, then sift the Almond meal mixed with the baking powder slowly.

I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to fill in my cup cake pan, filling each slot 2/3 full, I had a few spoon fulls left over so I tossed them into the cups that looked less full.  Then baked for 15-20 minutes; I left mine in for the full 20 as they looked a bit wet still at 15.

While the cake is baking (I forgot to do this) you can whip up some low carb icing.

Low Carb Icing

1 cup Splenda (ground into a find powdar =1/2 cup)
1 stick butter
1/2 c cream cheese

Mix all together for a faux butter cream icing.  Refrigerate till cup cakes have cooled completely before icing.  This will add 3.1 carbs to each cupcake iced.  Making the cup cakes 6.4 net carbs.

I am off to make icing and ice some cupcakes! 


Friday, August 14, 2015

Birthday Gift WIP

only a week and a day left to work on this gift.

I feel a bit buried by it and worried I might not finish on time.  I chose to work just the emblem section all the way up, then add in the wings after wards because of how wide the project became.  

I wouldn't have the space on my Tunisian hook to work the wings at the same time.  Its going to be a bit of a nightmare to block and steam, but I have learned a lesson when writing graphghan tunisian patterns.  I also have a minimized version of the graph worked up so it will come out the size I had originally planned (6-8 feet) which is about what just the emblem is right now.

I think I am right about 55-60% finished-- Its hard to get it all the way spread out as its connected to about 9 balls of yarn.